Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
A lot of the forum is hidden to non-members
favorite meal what would it be  Mascot11
Guests please register and say hello
Forum Awards

favorite meal what would it be  Getatt10 favorite meal what would it be  Getatt10favorite meal what would it be  Pewter10
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Top posters
johno (112917)
favorite meal what would it be  Vote_lcapfavorite meal what would it be  Voting_barfavorite meal what would it be  Vote_rcap 
morgan (55065)
favorite meal what would it be  Vote_lcapfavorite meal what would it be  Voting_barfavorite meal what would it be  Vote_rcap 
marti (31433)
wiseguy (28549)
Angel (7247)
ladyluck (6598)
Candy (6072)
kelly (5981)
cookie (5946)
mazzie (5550)

favorite meal what would it be

Go down 
+6
Shortie861
SandyC
The Ultimate Deity of TGL
Diane
wiseguy
mommakiwi
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
mommakiwi
mommakiwi

Female
Tiger
Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2012-01-30

favorite meal what would it be  Empty
PostSubject: favorite meal what would it be    favorite meal what would it be  EmptySun Feb 26, 2012 8:22 pm

I am intrigued by the way that food and memories go hand in hand and wondering if there is a fave food that you associate with friends or families or occasions? I love food and cooking so I often cook for friends and family. looking back my food courses are defined by who came to dinner. How the meal went on a social level and whether I would change anything.
My favorite dinner was a meal that I catered for 50 people and it was my friends 90th birthday!!! started with either chicken ritz or prawn starter both done in tall glasses but obviously ppl that were allergic to shell fish had the chicken.
Lasagne, salads, a baked chicken dish, and mixed roasted veggies.
With two desserts, a sticky toffee pudding and custard or icecream and a fresh fruit salad.
Wish I could do it all again..... my friend turns 95 this year!
Back to top Go down
http://mommakiwi.blogspot.co.nz/
wiseguy
Admin
Admin
wiseguy

Male
Rat
Number of posts : 28549
Registration date : 2008-05-15

PostSubject: Re: favorite meal what would it be    favorite meal what would it be  EmptySun Feb 26, 2012 8:28 pm

im a big steak lover,so it would be a massive steak

the biggest meal i ever had which was great was what they called an admirals feast,
cod.haddock prawns absolutely everything on it yummy
Back to top Go down
mommakiwi
mommakiwi

Female
Tiger

PostSubject: Re: favorite meal what would it be    favorite meal what would it be  EmptySun Feb 26, 2012 8:36 pm

so was it with some one special??? do you remember it because of the food or because of who you were with? would you like to do that meal all over again??
Back to top Go down
wiseguy
Admin
Admin
wiseguy

Male
Rat

PostSubject: Re: favorite meal what would it be    favorite meal what would it be  EmptySun Feb 26, 2012 8:54 pm

mommakiwi wrote:
so was it with some one special??? do you remember it because of the food or because of who you were with? would you like to do that meal all over again??
the food i was with the wife favorite meal what would it be  44866

yes it was a lovely evening
ive cooked her some lovely meals though,believe it or not im a very good cook,and i enjoy cooking,but not for myself,got to be for some one
Back to top Go down
mommakiwi
mommakiwi

Female
Tiger

PostSubject: Re: favorite meal what would it be    favorite meal what would it be  EmptySun Feb 26, 2012 9:14 pm

oh ok so you are not some one???
favorite meal what would it be  749200
Back to top Go down
wiseguy
Admin
Admin
wiseguy

Male
Rat

PostSubject: Re: favorite meal what would it be    favorite meal what would it be  EmptySun Feb 26, 2012 9:20 pm

mommakiwi wrote:
oh ok so you are not some one???
favorite meal what would it be  749200
no i dont go to any effort for my self when im away i have microwave meals or take aways
Back to top Go down
Diane
Diane

Female
Number of posts : 1196
Registration date : 2010-05-31

PostSubject: Re: favorite meal what would it be    favorite meal what would it be  EmptySun Feb 26, 2012 9:22 pm

I remember as a teenager going for a meal with a date , he was older than me and it was in Weymouth where I was working for the summer. I sat nervously choking over the meal which was some kind of Chinese dish, as he chatted away about God knows what! he was telling me some far fetched tale about someone following him down some dark alley and then asked me what I thought it was. I sat for a while, dumstruck and he said "It begins with the letter M", I replied gormlessly MARTIANS! LOL
Mind you the right answer was just as daft it was the ....MAFIA favorite meal what would it be  44866
I can't stand Chinese food to this day favorite meal what would it be  44866 and I didn't go out with him again favorite meal what would it be  44866
Back to top Go down
mommakiwi
mommakiwi

Female
Tiger

PostSubject: Re: favorite meal what would it be    favorite meal what would it be  EmptySun Feb 26, 2012 9:25 pm

rofl

Love it! Go Dianne!! pity about the chinese food though!!
Back to top Go down
wiseguy
Admin
Admin
wiseguy

Male
Rat

PostSubject: Re: favorite meal what would it be    favorite meal what would it be  EmptySun Feb 26, 2012 9:28 pm

favorite meal what would it be  44866 diane

i like chinese food aswell
Back to top Go down
mommakiwi
mommakiwi

Female
Tiger

PostSubject: Re: favorite meal what would it be    favorite meal what would it be  EmptySun Feb 26, 2012 9:43 pm

that was the worst Dianne what is your best food memory?
Back to top Go down
Diane
Diane

Female

PostSubject: Re: favorite meal what would it be    favorite meal what would it be  EmptySun Feb 26, 2012 9:46 pm

Do you know I don't think I have one!
I remember years ago going to a Cantonese Restaurant and odering scallops, I could have been sick when they arrived in front of me....I was expecting slices of potato fried in batter favorite meal what would it be  44866
I'll try think of a good eating experience favorite meal what would it be  44866
Back to top Go down
mommakiwi
mommakiwi

Female
Tiger

PostSubject: Re: favorite meal what would it be    favorite meal what would it be  EmptySun Feb 26, 2012 9:51 pm

heheheh sounds like you need to eat out more.... nudge nudge wink wink!
Back to top Go down
Diane
Diane

Female

PostSubject: Re: favorite meal what would it be    favorite meal what would it be  EmptySun Feb 26, 2012 10:01 pm

mommakiwi wrote:
heheheh sounds like you need to eat out more.... nudge nudge wink wink!

Yes I know favorite meal what would it be  44866
To be honest I'm quite a plain food person and don't enjoy eating out only when I'm on holiday. My daughter and family eat out all the time making it a social evening but I hate that and after eating I just want to go home favorite meal what would it be  44866
My favourite foods are anything with tomatoes in, pasta, mashed potatoes, eggs and salads, Oh and not forgetting nutty bread!
Back to top Go down
mommakiwi
mommakiwi

Female
Tiger

PostSubject: Re: favorite meal what would it be    favorite meal what would it be  EmptySun Feb 26, 2012 10:03 pm

Sounds scrummy yummy and soooo healthy! Good on you!
Back to top Go down

Male
Horse
Number of posts : 4777
Registration date : 2009-10-31

PostSubject: Re: favorite meal what would it be    favorite meal what would it be  EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 1:37 am

Gotta be a chargrilled steak with chips, a bit of salad.<3
Back to top Go down
http://www.offtopicz.com/
mommakiwi
mommakiwi

Female
Tiger

PostSubject: Re: favorite meal what would it be    favorite meal what would it be  EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 5:56 am

The Ultimate Deity of TGL wrote:
Gotta be a chargrilled steak with chips, a bit of salad.<3

Sounds delish TGA now tell me if you have fond memories of sharing this with someone special. Or is it the smell? the taste? or the textures that draw you to your meal?
Back to top Go down
SandyC

Male
Dog
Number of posts : 1143
Registration date : 2011-11-01

PostSubject: Re: favorite meal what would it be    favorite meal what would it be  EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 3:25 pm

Being a retired head chef, I like any meal I don't have to cook myself.. like wg though, I like a good big steak with mushrooms, onions, eggs and chips.. I had a medium rare steak one time, it was a real farmers pub I went to, the steaks were like 1 kilo in size, by the time I ate it all I felt like a stuffed pig, but it was really nice with garlic and a little cracked pepper...
Back to top Go down
http://s15.zetaboards.com/Sandys_Place/index/
Shortie861
Shortie861

Female
Tiger
Number of posts : 848
Registration date : 2012-02-20

PostSubject: Re: favorite meal what would it be    favorite meal what would it be  EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 9:09 pm

Hard one for me but I think if I really had to choose it would be a hard choice between chicken fajitas and pasta and meatballs :)
Back to top Go down
http://www.chat-addicts.com
mommakiwi
mommakiwi

Female
Tiger

PostSubject: Re: favorite meal what would it be    favorite meal what would it be  EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 9:22 pm

SandyC wrote:
Being a retired head chef, I like any meal I don't have to cook myself.. like wg though, I like a good big steak with mushrooms, onions, eggs and chips.. I had a medium rare steak one time, it was a real farmers pub I went to, the steaks were like 1 kilo in size, by the time I ate it all I felt like a stuffed pig, but it was really nice with garlic and a little cracked pepper...

Musta been a good un! sounds awesome!
Back to top Go down
mommakiwi
mommakiwi

Female
Tiger

PostSubject: Re: favorite meal what would it be    favorite meal what would it be  EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 9:28 pm

Shortie861 wrote:
Hard one for me but I think if I really had to choose it would be a hard choice between chicken fajitas and pasta and meatballs :)

hmmmmmm can smell the pasta and meatballs! Do you like to make your own or go out for them?
Haven't had a fajita in 3 and 1/2 years!!! Time I did that again.
Do you have these meals in a family setting or as dinner for one or two??

Sound like a stuck record don't I? Just like to link food with memories
Back to top Go down
SandyC

Male
Dog
Number of posts : 1143
Registration date : 2011-11-01

PostSubject: Re: favorite meal what would it be    favorite meal what would it be  EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 12:03 am

mommakiwi wrote:
SandyC wrote:

Musta been a good un! sounds awesome!

It was.. I had it at about 7 at night and couldn't go to bed until about 3 in the morning though, I was that bloated after it. You may know the pub, it's about 10 minutes north of Huntly on the left side of the road if you're heading to Auckland.. I wish I could remember the name of the area there. I remember the only 2 things there was the pub and a wood turning factory that used to make some good bowls and stuff...
Back to top Go down
http://s15.zetaboards.com/Sandys_Place/index/
mommakiwi
mommakiwi

Female
Tiger

PostSubject: Re: favorite meal what would it be    favorite meal what would it be  EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 12:38 am

coool! No I don't know it but now I will look out for it Sandy favorite meal what would it be  13594480
Back to top Go down
mommakiwi
mommakiwi

Female
Tiger

PostSubject: Re: favorite meal what would it be    favorite meal what would it be  EmptySun Mar 25, 2012 10:45 am

Tonight I wish I were at my favorite seafood restaurant in South Africa.

Picture several tiger prawns, butterflied and drizzled with hot lemony butter!!! Served with a celantro, parsely chilli and garlic

Back to top Go down
Domestic Goddess

Domestic Goddess

Female
Goat
Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2012-05-03

PostSubject: Re: favorite meal what would it be    favorite meal what would it be  EmptySun May 06, 2012 1:47 am

As far as associating food with friends or families or occasions...

As far as my own family (my hubby dd's, sil's)... we love egg rolls, (that I've been making since my girls were little) and a wilted lettuce salad, a salad which my sil's grandmother had made, (mainly during the holidays) and is totally different (ingredient-wise) from other wilted lettuce salads.

The egg rolls don't have a significant meaning behind them, it's just a food my dd's, hubby and I so enjoy, and have since my girls were little. And now that my daughters are older, it's our middle daughter that usually gets my olderst daughter and I together to make them with her. I like that when I know I am no longer here to make those egg rolls, at least one of my daughters will take the initiative to make them.

And whenever we have the wilted lettuce salad... we make lots of it, especially during the holidays, as it's the one thing we all enjoy and always have a second or maybe a third helping of. That's how good it is!! I never met my sil's grandmother, but now that the recipe was passed down to my dd, and my daughter gave me the recipe (even tho I tweaked the ingredients just a bit) my sil always reminisces about his grandmother and the holidays they spent together.

As far as my husband's family... the one dish his family always enjoyed was... his mothers' potato salad. You had to make a home-made boiled salad dressing, then add real cream to it. I have tried on so many occasions to re-create this salad, but never could get it exactly right. But not too long ago, I made a different kind of potato salad (a mashed potato salad), which tastes a lot like my mil's salad, but I use cooked-mashed-potatoes, where as she does not, but the taste is similar to hers. Sometimes I wonder if the mil is leaving out an ingredient or step to making the salad, to keep the recipe a secret.

The mother-in-law also made a cabbage slaw that was to die for, but I make one that is pretty similar to hers that we all love.

OMG, there are a few other dishes this woman would make that we so enjoyed. She use to make wedding dumplings, which were served with gravy. While I never got the real recipe from her, I did per-fect the recipe, and make them often. I passed the recipe down to my daughters and to others as well. Whenever we have them, I always think of the times my mil made them for her family as well.

As for my mother and my side of the family... I so enjoyed my mothers' milk gravy (or hamburger gravy) over mashed potatoes, her bread pudding, potato salad, stuffing/dressing, goulash, rice & raisins (which was served with cream and sugar), yam rolls (which tasted like caramel pecan rolls... they were too die for), plus her potato bread & potato rolls, and her pies (as she always made her pie crusts with 1-whole egg). During the holidays, my mother would make her stuffing/dressing in a large roasting pan, as it was sooo good! And when she'd make her bread pudding, she made it in the same large roasting pan as well. All of these dishes bring back memories, and I wish I had those recipes to make them for my family.

On some of the holidays, my mother would make either a peach or pear salad which consisted of either canned peaches or pears, which were placed onto a leaf of lettuce along with cottage cheese, then top them with a maraschino cherry. It always looked so elegant to me, and I loved it! My husband doesn't care for this kind of salad, so I rarely get to make it.

Those are some of the foods/dishes our families truely enjoyed and had brought back some great memories.

Back to top Go down
mommakiwi
mommakiwi

Female
Tiger

PostSubject: Re: favorite meal what would it be    favorite meal what would it be  EmptyFri May 25, 2012 11:37 am

Thanks for sharing DG! I LOVE hearing these stories. I have made recipe books for my dd and my dil so that they will always be able to make the family favorites. I am glad I did as in one of our moves I misplaced my recipe book full of tried and tested recipes...... all I had to do was txt my dd and she sent it to me by return txt
favorite meal what would it be  74097126
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: favorite meal what would it be    favorite meal what would it be  Empty

Back to top Go down

favorite meal what would it be
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next