Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
A lot of the forum is hidden to non-members
A true story from the Australian Quarantine Mascot11
Guests please register and say hello
Forum Awards

A true story from the Australian Quarantine Getatt10 A true story from the Australian Quarantine Getatt10A true story from the Australian Quarantine Pewter10
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Top posters
johno (112917)
A true story from the Australian Quarantine Vote_lcapA true story from the Australian Quarantine Voting_barA true story from the Australian Quarantine Vote_rcap 
morgan (55065)
A true story from the Australian Quarantine Vote_lcapA true story from the Australian Quarantine Voting_barA true story from the Australian Quarantine Vote_rcap 
marti (31433)
wiseguy (28549)
Angel (7247)
ladyluck (6598)
Candy (6072)
kelly (5981)
cookie (5946)
mazzie (5550)

A true story from the Australian Quarantine

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
wiseguy
Admin
Admin
wiseguy

Male
Rat
Number of posts : 28549
Registration date : 2008-05-15

A true story from the Australian Quarantine Empty
PostSubject: A true story from the Australian Quarantine   A true story from the Australian Quarantine EmptyMon Feb 16, 2009 11:57 am

A true story and its source was the Australian Quarantine Inspection Service in Adelaide .

A bloke and his family were on holidays in the United States and went to Mexico for a week. An avid cactus fan, the man bought one-metre high,
rare and expensive cactus there. On arrival back home Australian Customs said it must be quarantined for 3 months.

He finally got his cactus home. Planted it in his backyard, and over time it grew to about 2 metres. One evening while watering
his garden after a warm spring day, he gave the cactus a light spray. He was amazed to see the plant shiver all over, he gave it another
spray and it shivered again.
He was puzzled so he rang the council who put him on to the state gardens people. After a few transfers he got the state's foremost
cactus expert who asked him many questions. How tall is it? Has it flowered? Etc.

Finally he asked the most disturbing question. 'Is your family in the house?' The bloke answered yes. The cactus expert said
get out of the house NOW, get on to the front nature strip and wait for me; I will be there in 20 minutes.

Fifteen minutes later, 2 fire trucks, 2 police cars and an ambulance came screaming around the corner. A fireman got out and asked '
Are you the bloke with the cactus?' I am, he said. A guy jumped out of the fire truck wearing what looked like a space suit, a breathing
cylinder and mask attached to what looked like a scuba backpack with a large hose attached. He headed for the backyard and turned a
flame-thrower on the cactus spraying it up and down.

After a few minutes the flame-thrower man stopped, the cactus stood smoking and spitting, half the fence was burnt and parts of
the gardens were well and truly scorched. Just then the cactus expert appeared and laid a calming hand on the bloke's shoulder.
'What the hell's going on?' he says. 'Let me show you' says the cactus man. He went over to the cactus and picked away a crusty bit,
the cactus was almost entirely hollow and filled with tiger striped bird-eating tarantula spiders, each about the size of two hand spans.

The story was that this type of spider lays eggs in this type of cactus and they hatch and live in it as they grow to full size.
When full size they release themselves. The cactus just explodes and about 150 dinner plate sized hairy spiders are flung from it,
dispersing everywhere. They had been ready to pop. The aftermath was that the house and the adjoining houses had to be vacated
and fumigated: police tape was put up outside the whole area and no one was allowed in for two weeks.
A true story from the Australian Quarantine 1105311

And here's what one of them looks like sitting on a FULL SIZE dinner plate…..
Back to top Go down
saffyre
Admin
Admin
saffyre

Female
Horse
Number of posts : 2147
Registration date : 2008-05-15

PostSubject: Re: A true story from the Australian Quarantine   A true story from the Australian Quarantine EmptyMon Feb 16, 2009 1:21 pm

That's enough to put me off ever buying a cactus affraid
Back to top Go down
BattyOldMaid
BattyOldMaid

Tiger
Number of posts : 2305
Registration date : 2008-10-08

PostSubject: Re: A true story from the Australian Quarantine   A true story from the Australian Quarantine EmptyMon Feb 16, 2009 2:12 pm

Bloody hell, i lifted my bare feet off my living room floor as I saw the picture, geez, I'll never look at a cactus the same way again!

Batty
Back to top Go down
BattyOldMaid
BattyOldMaid

Tiger
Number of posts : 2305
Registration date : 2008-10-08

PostSubject: Re: A true story from the Australian Quarantine   A true story from the Australian Quarantine EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 11:42 am

Just got an e-mail, apparently this story is a hoax!

A good one though, as I said to the one that e-mailed it to me, that I now know where myths and legends orginated from. sailors come back with stories and there was no internet on myth busters back then, so the word of mouth got around about unicorns, mermaids, ufos, big foot and such.

cool!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A true story from the Australian Quarantine   A true story from the Australian Quarantine Empty

Back to top Go down

A true story from the Australian Quarantine
Page 1 of 1