Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
A lot of the forum is hidden to non-members
O2 apology for disclosing mobile phone numbers online  Mascot11
Guests please register and say hello
Forum Awards

O2 apology for disclosing mobile phone numbers online  Getatt10 O2 apology for disclosing mobile phone numbers online  Getatt10O2 apology for disclosing mobile phone numbers online  Pewter10
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Top posters
johno (112917)
O2 apology for disclosing mobile phone numbers online  Vote_lcapO2 apology for disclosing mobile phone numbers online  Voting_barO2 apology for disclosing mobile phone numbers online  Vote_rcap 
morgan (55065)
O2 apology for disclosing mobile phone numbers online  Vote_lcapO2 apology for disclosing mobile phone numbers online  Voting_barO2 apology for disclosing mobile phone numbers online  Vote_rcap 
marti (31433)
wiseguy (28549)
Angel (7247)
ladyluck (6598)
Candy (6072)
kelly (5981)
cookie (5946)
mazzie (5550)

O2 apology for disclosing mobile phone numbers online

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
wiseguy
Admin
Admin
wiseguy

Male
Rat
Number of posts : 28549
Registration date : 2008-05-15

O2 apology for disclosing mobile phone numbers online  Empty
PostSubject: O2 apology for disclosing mobile phone numbers online    O2 apology for disclosing mobile phone numbers online  EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 5:48 pm

O2 has apologised for a technical problem which caused users' phone numbers to be disclosed when using its mobile data.

The company said it normally only passed numbers to "trusted partners".

A problem during routine maintenance meant that from 10 January numbers could have been seen by other websites.

"We investigated, identified and fixed it this afternoon. We would like to apologise for the concern we have caused," the company said.

The Information Commissioner's Office had said that it would speak to O2 "to better understand what has happened".

bloody dipsticks
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16725531
Back to top Go down
SandyC

Male
Dog
Number of posts : 1143
Registration date : 2011-11-01

PostSubject: Re: O2 apology for disclosing mobile phone numbers online    O2 apology for disclosing mobile phone numbers online  EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 8:27 pm

Not cool eh... one reason I don't add things like that on a website, that and I had an account hacked and had my address and both phone numbers taken, the security around the accounts was supposed to be good too, I know my password was good... when I informed the site owners, all I got from them was to change my password a week later. I'd done that and removed any personal info a week earlier when I found out, O2 apology for disclosing mobile phone numbers online  44866..
Back to top Go down
http://s15.zetaboards.com/Sandys_Place/index/
wiseguy
Admin
Admin
wiseguy

Male
Rat
Number of posts : 28549
Registration date : 2008-05-15

PostSubject: Re: O2 apology for disclosing mobile phone numbers online    O2 apology for disclosing mobile phone numbers online  EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 10:51 pm

this is the other way round i think,they have allowed numbers used on their phone network to be shared with every tom dick and harry
my sons already had several cold calls trying to sell him stuff
im ok at the moment as im on orange,but if my son rings me off O2 my number will be available to all and sundry
not good O2 apology for disclosing mobile phone numbers online  44866
Back to top Go down
SandyC

Male
Dog
Number of posts : 1143
Registration date : 2011-11-01

PostSubject: Re: O2 apology for disclosing mobile phone numbers online    O2 apology for disclosing mobile phone numbers online  EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 12:37 pm

Looks like your son better not call you... it's not a good look for the phone company eh, I wonder how much business they'll lose from this? no doubt there will be some highly peeved customers around at present...

The surprising thing is, I don't remember the same happening here. I know some of these marketing companies randomly pick numbers and ring people here. Our postal company sells lists of peoples names and addresses to various companies too, a for instance was my getting a letter from the heart foundation addressed to me wanting me to buy lottery tickets from them, I presume the proceeds go back to heart research, but I wasn't too happy about my name being given, then my address..

Both my phones are unlisted, so if any marketing company gets them and starts ringing me, I'd be doing the Gordon Ramsey on them... my phone numbers are with held when I make calls too, so no one can say they got either of my phones that way... being unlisted means my numbers aren't in the phonebook and if the phone companies are asked for my number, they say there's no listing for me...
Back to top Go down
http://s15.zetaboards.com/Sandys_Place/index/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: O2 apology for disclosing mobile phone numbers online    O2 apology for disclosing mobile phone numbers online  Empty

Back to top Go down

O2 apology for disclosing mobile phone numbers online
Page 1 of 1