Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
A lot of the forum is hidden to non-members
"I wanted to escape that picture": 40 years on from iconic napalm photo, how Vietnam War victim found peace  Mascot11
Guests please register and say hello
Forum Awards

"I wanted to escape that picture": 40 years on from iconic napalm photo, how Vietnam War victim found peace  Getatt10 "I wanted to escape that picture": 40 years on from iconic napalm photo, how Vietnam War victim found peace  Getatt10"I wanted to escape that picture": 40 years on from iconic napalm photo, how Vietnam War victim found peace  Pewter10
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Top posters
johno (112917)
"I wanted to escape that picture": 40 years on from iconic napalm photo, how Vietnam War victim found peace  Vote_lcap"I wanted to escape that picture": 40 years on from iconic napalm photo, how Vietnam War victim found peace  Voting_bar"I wanted to escape that picture": 40 years on from iconic napalm photo, how Vietnam War victim found peace  Vote_rcap 
morgan (55065)
"I wanted to escape that picture": 40 years on from iconic napalm photo, how Vietnam War victim found peace  Vote_lcap"I wanted to escape that picture": 40 years on from iconic napalm photo, how Vietnam War victim found peace  Voting_bar"I wanted to escape that picture": 40 years on from iconic napalm photo, how Vietnam War victim found peace  Vote_rcap 
marti (31433)
wiseguy (28549)
Angel (7247)
ladyluck (6598)
Candy (6072)
kelly (5981)
cookie (5946)
mazzie (5550)

"I wanted to escape that picture": 40 years on from iconic napalm photo, how Vietnam War victim found peace

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
crusher21
Admin
Admin
crusher21

Male
Tiger
Number of posts : 2361
Registration date : 2008-05-16

"I wanted to escape that picture": 40 years on from iconic napalm photo, how Vietnam War victim found peace  Empty
PostSubject: "I wanted to escape that picture": 40 years on from iconic napalm photo, how Vietnam War victim found peace    "I wanted to escape that picture": 40 years on from iconic napalm photo, how Vietnam War victim found peace  EmptyFri Jun 01, 2012 11:28 pm

"I wanted to escape that picture": 40 years on from iconic napalm photo, how Vietnam War victim found peace

Now, aged 49 and enjoying a new life in Canada far from the barbaric scenes of her childhood, she has finally found peace

THIS shocking picture of Kim Phuc helped save her life 40 years ago but she has also felt cursed by the image.

She was just nine years old when the iconic war photo of her fleeing an aerial napalm attack in Vietnam stunned the world.

And it is only now, aged 49 and enjoying a new life in Canada far from the barbaric scenes of her childhood, that she has finally found peace.

Growing up, she was still haunted by that terrible day when she ran naked from her burning village as blobs of the highly flammable jelly melted her clothes off and seared into her skin.

In agony, the screaming child happened to sprint towards ­journalists on the highway and Vietnamese photographer Huynh Cong Ut took the snap before she mercifully lost consciousness.

But as well as capturing the black and white image which laid bare the true horrors of war and helped end one of the most ­divisive in US history, he drove her to a hospital.

Now, ahead of the anniversary of the bombing on June 8, 1972, Kim has told of the impact it has had on her life.

She survived after multiple skin grafts and dreamed of becoming a doctor.

But the communist regime which later took over her country wanted to use “that napalm girl” as a propaganda tool and made her quit college.

Kim recalls: “I wanted to escape that picture. I got burned by napalm and I became a victim of war but, growing up, I became another kind of victim. I wished I had died.”

Associated Press photographer Ut, then 21, won a Pulitzer Prize for the picture he took after US-backed South Vietnamese planes napalmed the village of Trang Bang, occupied by enemy North Vietnamese forces.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/vietnam-war-napalm-attack-photo-859272
Back to top Go down
wiseguy
Admin
Admin
wiseguy

Male
Rat
Number of posts : 28549
Registration date : 2008-05-15

"I wanted to escape that picture": 40 years on from iconic napalm photo, how Vietnam War victim found peace  Empty
PostSubject: Re: "I wanted to escape that picture": 40 years on from iconic napalm photo, how Vietnam War victim found peace    "I wanted to escape that picture": 40 years on from iconic napalm photo, how Vietnam War victim found peace  EmptyFri Jun 01, 2012 11:41 pm

i remember that picture

shame they cant show a up to date one though
Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1